Monday, May 3, 2010

Our First SOB Story: Judi. A Must Read!

I am absolutely thrilled to present our first "Superstar of the Band" ("S.O.B."), Judi from Stories from the Road....  I have many, many things to say about Judi's answers.  But I will save it until you all have had an opportunity to read her story first. 

I will say that Judi's description of her journey and life with the Lapband is exactly what I am hoping and praying for in my own Lapband life.  I totally heart Judi and her way of doing and thinking.

The only other thing I am going to say right now is...This is sort of long, so get yourself a cup of tea or wine, or a latte...whatever, get comfortable, and enjoy.  I refused to edit out even a single one of Judi's words! 

And now..... I give you..... Judi, the incredible, amazing S.O.B.!   




Questions for Superstars of the Band:  

1. All About You:  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Greetings from Pittsburgh, PA!

My name is Judi.....I am a 51 year old wife to a busy, career-driven, guitar-playing engineer, the mother of 2 university-student children (24 year old in his 2nd year of a PhD program & 18 year old finishing up her first undergrad year), the daughter of an 89 year old high maintenance Irish sweetheart of a guy, the sister to two wonderful and supportive sisters, the aunt of a crew of amazing and loving nieces and nephews and the lucky friend to a wonderful gang of smart, beautiful, talented and spirited women! I have worked in higher education for going on 30 years but I'm so over my career and have spent many hours fantasizing about what life will be like after college tuition. I'm trying to get used to my empty nest, I enjoy cooking and writing and lots of other things I have no time for.

So, why am I here, talking to you? Other than the fact that Gen crowned me as an S.O.B.....

It appears that I am a Superstar. For the first time in my whole life--that's what I am. And, not only that--I have been chosen as the first SUPERSTAR to share her story....with you....the S.O.B.'s in training.

Before I was an S.O.B., I was just a girl who went on diets. Yes, I'm a girl who –up until 2007—did every diet on the planet. Dieting was my pastime, my obsession and my way of life for most of my adulthood! You name it, I did it---from prescription drugs to OTC drugs to herbal remedies to diet doctors to diet counselors to diet quacks to fasting to pricey programs, group dieting, prayer diets to liquid diets to joining gyms and having trainers to begging the damn weight to come off….well, you get the picture. (In addition, I also spent a little bit of time “accepting” being big and beautiful—yeah, that didn’t last too long.) I’ve probably lost and gained a few thousand pounds over my life time. Sure, I could get the pounds off (although it was getting harder!), but I could never keep them off!

I'm sure you know my story....

The truth of the matter is-- I was not always obese. I was one of those girls who struggled with 10 pounds here, 20 pounds there, a few more pounds on top of that, lots of pregnancy weight here, more pregnancy weight there, a thyroid problem, thyroid removal, a dislike for exercise….well, you get the picture on that too!

I came by my obesity honestly. I come from a long line of overweight folks who love to eat, who equate food with everything and who (from what I understand!) have sluggish metabolisms! Listen—don’t tell anyone I told you this but we do not have any naturally thin folks in my blood line.

Between my family curse, my penchant for pasta and all of my other issues, I was doomed to be forever fat. And, I felt doomed! Until one fateful night---in December 2006, during a major fashion crisis (getting dressed to go to a dinner party), the advertisement for the Lapband appeared on my TV set—right in between me trying to persuade a pair of Size 22 black pants to zip up and eyeing up my drapes—thinking I might have to turn them into a dress (ala Scarlett). It was right then and there—as I slapped on some black stretchy number—that I decided to have Lap band surgery. It was very unceremonious and not-well-thought out. But, it was at least a plan. And, that plan helped me to find the courage to go to that dinner party (in my head-to-toe black stretchy ensemble) instead of calling my dear friend (the hostess) and telling her I had some awful illness that would prevent me from coming to her party. By mid night that evening—after having announced my decision (after a few glasses of wine) to 2 of my spirited girlfriends—I was on my way to getting a Lapband—whether I wanted one or not.

The rest is history.

By March 2007, I was on the Lapband road—jumping through all of the hoops, praying I was obese enough to get it done and minding my p’s and q’s. By May 2007, I was trapsing around Florida and Walt Disney World on our 25th Anniversary trip—sweating and bitching and thanking God I was going to be rid of the 100 pound albatross that was strapped to my body. I came back from that lovely trip convinced more than ever that if I didn’t get a Lapband, I would never, ever go on another vacation again.

I was banded on August 10, 2007---3 days after returning from a 2 week trip to the beach—where getting my hefty body to the beach, into my beloved beach chair and out of my beloved beach chair-- was a major feat. By the time I was wheeled into surgery---I was 250 pounds and 400% ready.

2. Your Weight Loss

As I already confessed--the day I was wheeled into surgery, I weighed 250 lbs—give or take a few pounds (I did not lose weight on my pre-op because we went on a 2 week vacation prior to that and I ate and drank my way through it….shhh, don’t tell anyone)

Listen, I am only 5' 3 " tall!

I wore a very tight 22—sometimes a 24 and a size 3X

Today, I am 135 happy pounds, wearing anywhere from a Size 10 petite to a Size 6!

And I'm still only 5'3" tall!

How long did it take to get to your goal weight (or first 100 lbs. lost)?

By July 2009 (almost 2 years after getting my Lapband), I had lost 100 lbs!!

As you got closer to your goal, was your weight loss slower?

Not really. My weight loss was never fast to begin with . It was slow and steady. Interestingly, after the 2 year mark, it was as if my body was so used to losing weight—it just kept on going! I attribute this to the fact that my body is stubborn—similar to when I would just GAIN weight (when my body was in a weight gaining mode)…it was now in a weight LOSING mode! I felt like I earned that…..after years of dealing with the weight piling on!
Did you experience plateaus?  What did you do to shake up weight loss stalls?

Yes and no. As I said—my weight loss was pretty slow. There were a few times when I might have gained a pound or I was bit disappointed that it wasn’t quicker. But, I would not call these plateaus. Looking back—I know I could have done quite a bit to make the weight loss go faster—like maybe cutting out wine and martinis and treats. But….to be honest….I decided “this is my life”. And, since I made a very concerted effort to tell myself THIS IS NOT A DIET, as long as I was losing the weight, then it was enough for me. The funny thing is—and I think I’ve said this many times---if I would have known it would take me 2 years to lose the weight going into this, I probably would have never done it! Why? Because I am so impatient (and illogical to boot!). Thankfully, I went into this thinking I’d be thin in no time flat!!! . Oh…and another confession---I never really thought I’d really lose 100 pounds. I was happy just thinking I might lose 50!

So, I never really pushed myself out of what I considered a plateau.

Hopefully, my answer to this question will drive home the fact that you can live the life you want, enjoy the foods you love and that you can and will lose the weight with this fabulous tool. You just have to be patient. There are no tricks.

Sure---every once in awhile, I’d catch myself not drinking enough water or eating enough protein and I’d increase those things and notice a benefit from it.

For the most part--it was slow and steady! But…… it worked!!!

How did you decide on a goal weight?

Silly me….I just wanted to lose 100 pounds. It was a nice round number. Plus, to get the band---you had to need to lose 100 pounds. Given that and the fact that I weighed 250, I picked a goal weight of 150 lbs….another round number. There was nothing scientific about it.

Is your final goal weight considered "normal" on the BMI charts?

Well, I feel pretty normal. So, I’m going with yes!!! Charts are not my thing.

3. All about food!

Do you follow any of the band rules religiously?  (For example, no drinking with meals, etc.)?

I don’t remember all the rules!!! But, what I will say is---the only rules I follow religiously are: no carbonated drinks and no straws. I have never strayed from those two. They were tough for me---very tough. Given that—I was gentle with myself on the other ones. I never really did drink a lot with my meals so it was not an issue. I will not give up is drinking a nice wine to complement my meal (not all the time but when I chose to…).

Which band rules do you think are most important?

Since I can’t recall them all—what I tell you is that I really learned to pay attention to protein. As a life long dieter, I was so into salads! Once I started looking at what I was eating “on a diet”, I realized that I was not eating nearly the amount of protein that I should be eating. So, I had to really figure out how to eat 3 small meals that included enough protein. Also….the one lesson everyone will learn is that you must STOP eating when you begin to feel full! Do not test your band!!! Do not tease it or agitate it or try to see how far you can go with it!

Did you track calories or log your food while you were losing weight?  Do you do this now?

No. And, here was my rationale---this is was not a temporary thing for me. It was a lifestyle thing. I would not track calories and log food during my normal, everyday life so I didn’t do it. I tried really hard to figure out how to make this a way of life and not to make it so hard or so much like a "diet" that I would NOT do it forever!


Did you measure your portions?  Do you do this now?

No. See my answer above. Over time, I learned to figure out how much was enough and how much was too much. That takes awhile. I threw away a lot of good food trying to adjust to what I could eat and how much I could eat.

Describe a typical day of eating for you, both during your weight loss phase and now.

Wow, this is a little tough since my days are all so different and I don’t plan them out as well as I should—but that’s me and my life!

Let me tell you what I ate on Saturday, Sunday and Monday:

SATURDAY

Breakfast: Venti Chai Latte (non fat)

Lunch: (took my dad and my nephew to a little place near my sister's house)-- 1/4 of a caprese salad--buffalo mozzarella, basil and tomato drizzled with balsamic dressing , ½ bowl of crab bisque, 2 glasses of Pinot Grigio

Very late Dinner: (at a local sports bar--met up with Carmen and friends to watch end of hockey game)---a few chips with hummus and feta, a few chips with nacho dip, a few Gin Gimlets (sooo good!)

SUNDAY

Breakfast: Venti Chai Latte (non fat)

Lunch: ¼ cheese quesadilla with sour cream and salsa , glass of Chardonnay

Dinner: 2 pieces of sharp cheddar cheese, small container of Activia yogurt

MONDAY

Breakfast: Venti Chai Latte (non fat)

Mid-Morning: small container of peach Activia yogurt

Lunch: A scoop of hummus with some feta cheese mixed in, a handful of pretzel chips dipped in

Mid Afternoon: a sliver of Key Lime pie someone brought into work (love it!)

Dinner: ½ bowl of Crab Bisque (left over from weekend)

Evening: 3 malted milk eggs

I also drink a lot of unsweetened hot tea and iced tea, and water throughout the day.

In the early days of my weight loss, when I was not an empty nester, I definitely drank more protein shakes and worked in more cheeses and lean meats during the week.

Some Lapband docs tell patients to eat only 3 small meals a day, others say snacks are okay.  What did you do when you were losing weight and what do you do now?

Here comes another example of how I made the Lapband work for me and my life. That is really the key to success.....I swear! It's as simple as that! . When I was losing the weight, I was not an empty nester as I am now. So, I definitely did the 3 meals a day because I was not just cooking for myself (my husband's schedule is insane so I can't count on him for meals). I had my daughter to consider. And, I was very conscious of feeding her a healthy diet and teaching her how to eat well. Now, I still get in 3 meals but they are not as thought-out or planned. I'll admit that my breakfasts are always the same--Fat Free Chai Lattes. It is what my body needs and craves!

Approximately how many calories per day did you eat during your weight loss, and how many now?

I really have no idea!

What are some of your favorite band-friendly foods?

This is a very interesting question since I truly do believe that we should eat everything--or at least try to. And, I do try to adhere to that. Sometimes band-friendly foods are not your friend---because you can eat so much of them!!! And, just because butter-laden mashed potatoes will go down just fine--that does not mean that you should eat them ! Same thing goes for ice cream and chips (which work just fine with my band!). But, I'll admit-- along the way, as I was experimenting with eating as a Lapbander, I found some new amazing favorite foods! I have become a real crab addict---crab cakes, crab bisque, crab balls! Yum! And, since I can not eat pasta (which was a huge staple of my life!), I found my way back to a childhood food---polenta! Now, I will travel miles for a great dish of polenta. . And, what I have found is that I have a whole new appreciation for food--I know exactly what foods I love and I eat them! I truly enjoy going out to eat so much more than I ever did. Why? Because I order something that I absolutely love and get to experience it and appreciate it all on it's own. I'm not ordering that and everything else! And, as much as I loved cooking before---I love it even more now. Which I suppose sounds very strange. Granted, I do not cook big meals on a daily basis but when I do have the chance to cook--I go full throttle and experiment with food and recipes so much more! I guess because I am not so focused on eating!!!

Did you drink protein shakes during your weight loss phase?  Do you now?

Yes, I did drink protein shakes in the early days. I experimented with recipes and flavors and brands. Even though I did hit on some good ones, protein shakes just don't do it for me. They are too much work and I'd rather have something I really want and enjoy.

Did you follow any special "diet" plan during your weight loss, for example, low carb, or counting points on Weight Watchers?

Yes and no. The only thing that I really focused on (and still do) was the protein. Mostly because I was afraid I'd lose my hair (I'm vain like that!) . As I'm sure you've noted by now--the running theme with me is that I didn't want to diet anymore. Not dieting was hard. It was something I had to get used to. Getting out of that mind set really took work. But, it was the best thing I ever did because I never felt like a failure. Sure, I might have been a little upset with myself because I overate or ate things I shouldn't have but the bottom line is THIS IS MY LIFE---I am going to eat shit every once in awhile and to be honest--sometimes I want to eat it!! It's just reality---a reality that was never built into the diet programs I spent years doing! Thankfully, my band does not allow me to eat too much of the shit!!!!

Are there any foods you cannot eat with the band (like meat, bread, etc.)?

I've found my band to be fickle. I have never had any luck with pasta, bread and rice. I eat very small hamburgers every once in awhile--without the bun but with all the trimmings. Sometimes they work just fine, other times, they don't! I have had 2 steaks in my time as a Lapbander--one of them went well, another did not. The one that worked was at a very pricey steak place so I am guessing it has a lot to do with the quality and tenderness of the meat. I can eat a small amount of chicken and a few shrimp or scallops. I make salmon and mahi-mahi and do well with them. One thing I should note is that when I get stressed--my band gets very tight!! When that happens---I sometimes turn to the mashed potatoes just to get something in my stomach!

What would a "splurge" day be like for you?

Another very interesting question since I never considered any of this a diet!.So, I'm not splurging--I'm living my life!! A few weeks ago, we went to New Jersey for a shower---the food was phenomenal! I ate fried calamari and eggplant rotini and this yummy cake with a marscapone filling. This food was to die for. It was definitely a splurge day! But, I don't have those foods on a daily basis! Like anyone else--a special occasion or a special food calls for a splurge. It's that simple. Most of my splurges are liquid---wine, martinis, margaritas. Alcohol is a Lapband no-no on the official list....I'm aware of that. But, again....this is my life.....

4. All about fills!

What size band do you have, and what amount of fill do you have?

Wow....you are testing my memory! I do not have the REALIZE band. Not sure if that helps! I believe I have 2.7 ccs in a 4.0 cc band. I've been at this restriction since October and consider it absolutely perfect.

How many fills did it take you to get to your "sweet spot"?

Well, I thought I was there a few times!!!! But, now I know that I am there.....

Approximately how many weeks or months after surgery until you reached the "sweet spot"?

OOOOH.....well....I hate to say this but with each fill, I got to a sweet spot and then it went away until I got another fill. Right now, I am perfect---see my answer above.

Did you ever have to get an un-fill?

No! Thank God!

Can you drink water and other fluids easily at your fill level?

Yes, I sometimes get a little pain if I gulp....so I don't gulp! I love sipping wine and martinis. You must try a gin gimlet.....

Do you get stuck and/or slime and/or PB very often?

Every so often.....yes. It's definitely something I try to avoid! I think I talked about my major ones on my blog. They were memorable! I hate it and my family really hates it. I swear they can take one look at me and see it coming. My little nephew even does a great imitation of me having a Lapband moment....

5. Share your secrets!

Tell us your best tips for losing weight with the band.  What do you think contributed most to your success?

A few things....

-First of all, I can't deny the fact that I kept up with my appointments, made sure I communicated with my doctor and the technicians and really stayed focused on integrating my band into my life. In other words--I made room in my life for my band--I took time off of work, I took vacation days if I had to and I stayed very connected to the "medical" aspect of it.

-I think the fact that I was adamant about not viewing it as a diet but as a way of life made a big difference.

-I did not deny myself indulgences. I fully admitted that I needed them in my life!

-I always had my eye on something fashion related!

-I was not shy about telling anyone that I had a Lapband! It was such a part of me and my life that it made sense to me. That's just me....

-I have an amazing support system of friends and family members who cheered me on from the moment I said I was going to do this until this day. Their continued interest, support and kudos really kept me going. Not one of my friends or family questioned my decision or second guessed my choice. Everyone--from my then 86 year old father to my then-16 year old daughter to my coworkers to my wonderful sisters and my spirited friends--got behind me and my journey! I felt a real sense of commitment to them for being such an integral part of this very important part of my life.

-I stayed connected to other Lapbanders---online (Lapbandtalk.com, my blog and other blogs) and in person (support group).

-My blog. Writing my blog on a daily basis keeps me focused and in the moment of my life with the band. It has been a true blessing!

What advice do you have for Newbies?  Is there anything you would have done differently if you could go back to the months right after your surgery?

Wow, that feels like it was so long ago!!

-I think the one thing I want to tell everyone is this---do not feel like you are taking the easy way out by having WLS. This is a personal decision that is important to your life, your well being and your future. Accept that we all need help with things in our life. Seeking help and accepting what help is available are what separates you from those people who are afraid of being judged by other's biases. Do not be afraid to reach out to find the answers to your weight loss issues. I fell victim to this a few times! Don't let anyone tell you your choice make your efforts and your successes less than anyone else's!!

-In the early stages of your Lapbanded life---try to schedule a massage. It does wonders for the "trapped air".....aka....gas.

-Also, while you are at it--get a pedicure too! Learn to treat yourself to some non food treats.

-Find one food/drink that you love! Something you can look forward to! My Starbuck's chai lattes have been that for me!

-Do not stick to soft foods! Eat real food! This is real life! A Lapband doesn't change that! (of course, I'm talking about after the mushy food stage....)

-Don't run out and spend a ton of $$ on gadgets and protein shake mixes. Go slow. All you really need in the beginning is a Magic Bullet and a few "sample" protein shake packs (until you find one that you like) I threw away probably hundreds of dollars worth of protein powder!

-Tell your doctor what you need!!! Do not be afraid to say "I am hungry!" or "I can eat a horse!" You got the band so that you are not hungry and so you can't eat a horse!!! Don't be afraid!

-Stay connected to the world of Lapbanders. But, use some caution when reading Lapbandtalk.com. Some of the posts on there will scare the shit out of you! If you really need to find the answer to something or you want some first hand advice--reach out to a blogger that you feel connected to and who you trust. Don't open yourself up to negative or scarey comments!

What is the best band or weight loss-related advice you received?

This is a journey, not a race!

And, there's another nugget I'll be sharing later on.....below

How did you deal with "head hunger"?

I feed it. It's the only way to deal with it. Trust in your band and let it do it's job. If you need to feed something in your head--I say do it. Soon, your band will help you to recognize what you really need/want in terms of food. And, even if it never helps you to recognize the psychological aspect of it--it will at least help you to limit how much food you are feeding your head hunger! If you keep your band at the proper restriction and make decent food choices when the "head hunger" forces you to eat--you will be okay. Keeping the proper restriction will help in this area in the long run. But, let's face it--sometimes you just need to feed it!

Did you find the mental aspect of losing weight difficult?  (Including, for example, no longer relying on food for stress relief, getting used to seeing yourself as a "thin" person, or anything else?)  How did you deal with this?

Okay...there's a few things here.....

-First of all--I am having no problem at all seeing myself as a "thin" person. I am a bit shocked when people treat me nicer just because I'm thinner. But, hell....I like to be treated nicer so no harm there! I love wearing certain types of clothes, I love thinking about wearing certain outfits and I sometimes get a huge thrill out of seeing the looks on people's faces when they see me! So, yeah, I'm doing okay with it. Being older and wiser helps I guess. I get a kick out of things maybe my younger friends don't...

-Some people ask me about the sex thing now that I am 115 pounds lighter. Well...what do you think? The only problem I can't fix is the fact that I've been with the same guy for ions and we're both 50+. But, that's life and I'm okay with it. Sometimes you just have to figure it out. Now I'm just very content to have a good time....and a few laughs.

As for the food part....

In the beginning---yes, I found that I missed eating as a pastime. What I eventually found was that I missed the idea of eating and I missed the promise of the comfort that came with knowing that I could eat. And, I did worry quite a bit about holidays and going to restaurants and parties. And, there were times that I spent an enormous amount of energy on figuring out scenarios in my head as to how I would deal with not being able to eat. But, as time went on and I recognized that if I allowed my band to work as it should (proper restriction)--all of these things were non issues. I found that I could eat and be satisfied and that I really did not want or need more food. It was almost like a happy miracle each time that happened!! Somehow, the thrill of being satisfied and not wanting to eat more overtook me. Soon, I began to trust in my band and realize that this is why I got my Lapband. It was a very freeing feeling.

As for the stress--- I was never much of a stress eater--I was just an eater. I ate for every reason---happy, sad, anxious, hungry, not hungry, just because....! And, as much as I'd love to tell everyone that I no longer do that--it's not true. I still enjoy what food and a meal can do for me. Whether it's just pausing in my day to take the time to eat or sitting down to enjoy a good meal with my family or going to a restaurant with a friend or celebrating a special occasion or feeling blue and needing a little treat--I still find that food does it for me. But, again--my Lap Band makes that all still possible. I can do all of those things and I do them!! It's just more reasonable now. It's a few chips with nacho dip and not an entire bag and a full crock of that wonderful goo! It's one or two pieces of chocolate and not a raid on the candy aisle. I feel like I am eating like I should be eating--the way I was meant to eat. I am not depriving myself of food or moments that I find pleasureful, I am enjoying eating in the moment---and after the moment. I am not stressing over the guilt of eating a whole bag or a who box of something I shouldn't have. It's kinda crazy really but all of a sudden, I get it. My Lapband has helped me to not only lose the weight but to enjoy food more than ever before! I'm sure that's tough for some people to get their head around---especially if they are in the early stages of Lapbandhood or getting ready to have the surgery or struggling with the process. But, I promise you--it will happen if you let it happen. Do not look at this as a diet and do not fight your band and do not feel discouraged---just accept your band as a part of your body like your arm! It's a part of you and it's here to stay---learn to live with it and let it do its job for you!

Having said all of that (I sure have lots to say...don't I?).....

Wow...up until a day or two ago, I thought the hardest part is maintenance and realizing that I am done losing weight. It's a tough thing to come to grips with. I have to maintain this weight loss--something I never, ever did before. In all my years of dieting--I could lose the weight....I just could not keep it off. Throughout my Lapband journey, I was deeply afraid of the day that I would say--I am done losing weight. But, then, the other day, I read something on someone's blog (I wish I could remember who's it was!) that said---I got the Lapband to not only lose the weight but to keep it off. All of a sudden---a warming peace came over me.....yes!....why didn't I think of that? It is now my favorite piece of advice.....! My fear is slowly fading. Although, I must admit, I do miss the weight loss journey....


The Dreaded "E" Word: Exercise!

How long after surgery did you start exercising?



Listen, I'm not a good motivator here. The only real exercise I do is walking. My husband bought me a gym membership and sessions with a trainer--I hated it. It's just not me. I walk every day for about an hour and that's it.

What kind of exercise do you do, and how frequently?

see above

Do you think exercise is important to your success?

Sure, I do think the walking helps. And, I'm pretty sure if I did more exercise, it would help even more. But, it's not going to happen. That's just the way it is.

7. Anything else to tell us?

Yes, of course! I want to thank you, Gen, and every blogger and blog commenter out there in blog band land--your support and encouragement and inspiration has meant more to me than I could have ever thought imaginable. And, it's been a huge part of my ability to lose this weight!

When I started my blog--I would have never, ever guessed what the world of blogging would do for me. If I have any advice for you, my banded brethren--other than the nuggets I have already shared--it's this--start a blog or if you aren't the blogging type--participate in blogs! It will become a wonderful, meaningful part of your life. Sure, it sounds crazy. But, so does putting a band around your stomach! So, please, keep our little corner of the internet going---blog it out every day!!!!

And, before I go, I want to say a few more things (hard to believe...huh?)...

If you haven't already guessed it, I want to tell you that my Lapband is the best thing I have ever done for myself. No question about it. And, if I could shove Lapbands on everyone who is struggling with their weight, I'd do it in a heartbeat! There's no question in my mind that my dedication to the process, to keeping my band at the proper restriction and to not viewing it as another diet but as a way of life were the true keys to realizing my dream of weight loss. And, hopefully, the keys to my continued success and superstardom! The band itself is just a piece of silicon---we are the brains behind it! We have to have the courage and the presence of mind to make it work!

From the weight loss to the health benefits to just the everyday improvement in every aspect of my life-- my Lapband has given me much. I have more confidence, I am happier and I am willing to do things that I would have never done before my weight loss. Losing over 100 pounds has improved my relationships by taking away many of the barriers I put between myself and other people-- loved ones, friends and strangers alike. Believe me...before I lost this weight-- it was more than my stomach getting in between me and the rest of the world! I know it shouldn't be that way--but it was for me. Being thinner is better. There is no denying it. I'm so glad I got a chance to experience it.

With all of that being said--I want to point out that just getting a Lapband and losing the weight won't solve every problem you have! But, for some reason, it helps you deal with life's sucker punches in ways that make some of your issues feel lighter. If you are considering having a Lapband, are in the process of getting one, already have one or have realized the success of one--I hope at least a few of the 5000 words I shared today meant something to you.

Remember---it's all about proper restriction, not dieting and staying connected. If you do all of that....you too can be an S.O.B.!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Gen and all the best to all of you on your own journeys!

Onward!

Judi

THE END

Okay, now do you see why I heart Judi? 

Thank you so much Judi!!!!!

I will be asking other SOBs to answer these questions...please let me know if you  have any questions to add to this list.

XOXOXO 




5 comments:

  1. This has so much great information. Thanks Judi and thanks Gen for this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judi. What an inspiring story - I heart you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gen - this is such a wonderful thing you have done for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an AMAZING resource for us newbies (or almost newbies - my surgery is one week from today!) Seriously, this right here has given me more information than crawling around message boards and random blogs for the last three months. I love hearing the whole story, rather than the play by play. It puts everything into perspective. I suddenly am not so freaked out anymore. So to Judi and to Gen, thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart. I can't wait to read future installments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just now getting around to reading since my surgery was just last week. Judi, thank you for sharing your journey, I've enjoyed reading it. Gen, thanks for putting this blog together so we can all learn from the superstars.

    ReplyDelete